Conference on ‘Hong Kong Bilingual Legal System:
Retrospect and Prospect’ – Call for Papers
The Conference on ‘Hong Kong Bilingual Legal System: Retrospect and Prospect’ will be held on 26 and 27 August 2023 at the University of Hong Kong. Organised by the Faculty of Law of the University of Hong Kong, the conference is the first major international academic conference to focus on legal language of Hong Kong. The Conference aims to provide a platform for experts and legal practitioners from home and abroad to present their research and practical views, as well as to provide networking opportunities. In addition to the presentation sessions, workshops will be held on a variety of topics, covering both theoretical and practical aspects. As the Official Languages Ordinance is approaching its 50th anniversary, this Conference will review the challenges and opportunities of legal language of Hong Kong, and provide new ideas and directions to guide the further development of Hong Kong’s bilingual legal system.
Experts, scholars, practitioners, and students in the field of legal language research are invited to submit papers on any topic related to Hong Kong’s bilingual legal system and the legal language of Hong Kong. Each paper will have a tentative presentation time of 15 minutes and a discussion time of 10 minutes. Papers are particularly welcomed on the following topics:
1. The development of the common law in Chinese
2. Developments and challenges in the use of Chinese in court proceedings
3. Developments and challenges in bilingual law drafting
4. The impact of information technology on the use of Chinese in law
5. The development of bilingual legal education
6. Development of legal Chinese in the Greater China Region
1. This Conference is conducted in both Chinese and English, and abstracts are welcomed in either Chinese or English.
2. Abstracts should be anonymous and should not exceed 400 words.
3. Please send your abstract in Microsoft Word (*.docx / *.doc) or as a text file (*.rtf / *.txt) to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 30 April 2023 (Sunday).
請於2023年4月30日（星期日）前把論文提要以Microsoft Word 電子檔 (*.docx / *.doc) 或文字檔案 (*.rtf / *.txt) 發送至 email@example.com.
4. In the email text, please include the (1) real name, (2) affiliation and position, (3) correspondence address, and (4) email address of the author(s).
請於電郵內文註明作者的 (1) 真實姓名；(2) 所屬機構名稱、職稱；(3) 通訊地址及 (4) 電子郵件信箱。
5. Each person may submit a maximum of two individual papers and two co-authored papers.
6. Abstracts will be anonymously reviewed and approved before they can be presented at the Conference. Review results will be available on 31 May 2023 (Wednesday).
7. Some of the presented papers may be published in a book, tentatively scheduled for 2024. The final decision of acceptance will be made by the Organising Committee of the Conference based on the academic standard and practical reference value of the paper.
8. Conference participation is free (including a conference dinner on 26 August 2023 for invited guests and paper presenters). Conference participants are responsible for their own travel expenses to and from their place of origin to Hong Kong, meals, accommodation, sightseeing and transportation costs in Hong Kong during the Conference. Paper presenters coming from outside Hong Kong will receive a modest subvention towards their costs.
For enquiries, please contact Mr Wilson Lui (Pre-Doctoral Fellow and part-time Lecturer, HKU Faculty of Law) or Mr Edmund Cham (Adjunct Associate Professor, HKU Faculty of Law) at firstname.lastname@example.org. 如有查詢，請電郵至 email@example.com 與呂致延先生（香港大學法律學院博士前研究員、兼任講師）或湛樹基先生（香港大學法律學院客席副教授）聯絡